Bethany Lutheran School
6041 Ridge Road; Parma, Ohio 44129
440-884-1010 / 440-884-9834 Fax
Our Vision is to...
Instill a passion for Learning.
Inspire a life of Christian Service.
Ignite the Imagination.
In the fall of 1935, Bethany Evangelical Lutheran School in Parma, Ohio opened its doors to 2 pupils. The school was a dream of the early church leaders in 1929, but they were plagued with numerous setbacks before it became a reality. The school opened with used furniture purchased from the Cleveland Board of Education and after two weeks of opening its doors, the first full-time teacher and principal, Mr. G.P Bertram, was secured for the one-room school. For four months, members removed the benches and equipment from the chapel each Saturday, and moved church pews for Sunday worship. The reverse occurrence took place on Sunday after worship. From 1935 until 1951, Bethany Lutheran School operated as a one-room school across the street and down one block from its present location.
New and enlarged facilities were provided in 1951 which included a larger chapel, two classrooms, and basement meeting rooms. More classroom space was built in 1956 and in 1967, a new house of worship was built along with four more classrooms and office space for a growing staff. God continued to bless Bethany and in 1991 more space was added, including a multi-purpose gym, two more classrooms, new science, art and music rooms.
In July 2001, a fire destroyed the center of the school building, damaging the entire structure. The Bethany congregation did not disband. Rather, we rebuilt and even expanded. The school was deployed to three different locations until finally, in June 2003, Bethany dedicated its renovated and expanded facility – including a new third floor with 8 classrooms at a cost of 3.6 million dollars.
Today, Bethany Lutheran School continues to thrive. With a current enrollment of just over 200 students, we continue to educate our students on the truth’s of God’s word.
Our mission is the same today as it was back in 1935...To train a child’s head, heart, and hands for a lifetime of discipleship to God and service to their fellowman.
Celebrating 80 years of Educating Children